The tennis world on Saturday was left stunned as the WADA reached an agreement with Jinnik Sinner regarding his doping incident. Sinner tested positive for a banned substance last year, but it was later revealed that it was due to unintentional contamination, which came as a good enough argument to be presented in his defence. Nevertheless, WADA appealed the decision to CAS, and many believe that the verdict which would have come in April would have seen him banned for at least two years. However, in a sudden turn of events, the agreement will leave him the Italian debarred for only three months.
The agreement came as a surprise, fueling an inundation of reactions from the Tennis world. In the process, former player Marion Bartoli has come up with a sharp reaction, criticising ATP and Jannik Sinner.
Speaking on RMC Sport, former player said, “He had a much heavier sword of Damocles hanging over his head because at the beginning, there was even talk of a two-year suspension.”
“I have to read the reports and say that the experts all described this unintentional doping.
“Now, where I have trouble understanding this decision is that there is case law at the CAS level, which is located in Switzerland, and that the case law is still higher than that, that is to say that even for negligence, there was more than three months.
“The president of the ATP is Italian and as luck would have it, he will resume in Rome… When you put everything together, you still say to yourself, ‘aren’t they ‘taking the pi** a bit?’ But, based on the evidence and what has been said, I am no one to question that. So, I have a lot of trouble forming an opinion,” she added.
Sinner is expected to lose 2100 points due to the ban but will remain the World No.1 in the rankings. He will plummet to 9730 points as a result of the suspension. Yet he will remain at the top of the tree with good distance over the No.2 ranked player Alexander Zverev.
ADVERTISEMENT